I was doing some research on a few Philly guys (and several other jailed mobsters) using the Federal Bureau of Prisons website to check out current locations and release dates. While doing so, I threw in a couple of other names just for the hell of it and am wondering if I possibly stumbled across something.

To be honest, I don't know much (if anything) about the federal prison system, so that's why I'm asking the question here and I'll try to explain as best as I can. In the BOP system, RRM stands for Residential Re-Entry Management (a halfway house). When most guys get to the end of their sentences, they are released from the federal prison and placed into a local halfway house (RRM). Like I said, I was checking out a few Philly guys to check up on their release dates (not that most of you care about these guys, but I'm using them as examples):

Martin Angelina (set to be officially released 7/11/2015) entered a halfway house for the final 6 months of his sentence and is currently located at Philadelphia RRM

'Chickie' Ciancaglini (set to be officially released 5/4/2015) also entered the halfway house for the final 6 months of his sentence and is also located at Philadelphia RRM

Joey Merlino (set to be officially released 5/3/2015) left federal prison and placed into halfway house for the final few weeks of his sentence, located at Miami RRM

Link for the Federal Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator:
http://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/

To get to the point, I did the same exact search for Anthony 'Gaspipe' Casso. I've done this same search a few different times over the years and it's showed the various prisons that he was located at. When I did the search today, it's now showing that Casso is located at Minneapolis RRM, a halfway house.

Here's a screenshot I took of the page:
(you can do the same search from the inmate locator)

CLICK TO ENLARGE

For the guys who know more about this life and the prison system than I do, is there any reason other than an upcoming release why someone would be placed in a halfway house? Possibly for a transfer to another prison? But in my eyes that really wouldn't make much sense. Why would someone who has a LIFE sentence be in a halfway house? I read an article recently (it was from 2009) that said Casso was being treated for a cancer at a prison hospital. Is it possible that Gas is on borrowed time and the feds are going to allow him to live out the last few remaining years of his life from outside the walls, or am I just reading too much into nothing?