Has anyone read the 1983 book "The Mob" by Virgil Peterson? A very big book, also focused on the New York organized crime, very detailed, especially about Tammany Hall and political corruption, also in pre-mafia times, like the "Tweed ring" in the 1850s; also talks about less known big players in the underworld like Frank Erickson, Harry Gross, Henry Miro, Wilfred Brunder, and has an entire chapter on the waterfront hearings and investigations; most books only mention briefly "Cockeye" Dunn and Joe Ryan without examining the subject in details.

I mean, it's another great work about the New York organized crime, like Raab's "Five Families".

However, the author of "The Mob" tries to make a point which I am not sure is correct: he says the Cosa Nostra influence on national organized crime is overestimated, it allegedly never was the absolute dominant force, and also says Valachi's testimony is reliable only when pertaining to New York matters.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."