It amazes me how much of a failure Gotti was. He was a degenerate gambler, greedy, no common sense, drew too much attention to himself. The worst boss of all time. He didn't seem like someone who was qualified to be a skipper, much less a boss.

He was a broke until he became a boss. They said in the book he made a comment on how he was in disbelief about these construction extortion kickbacks he was getting, and how he had never had money like that before. How he ever got into that position blows me away.

Chin made him look like an amature, the way they ran their shows was like night and day.

Its interesting that another bad Boss was Amuso and Casso(i consider them both the boss of their family). Probably the 2nd worst boss run behind Gotti. Whats worse as they were both running their respective families at the same time.

These 3 guys, and the damage they did to their families, was much worse than even the original commision case for the mob. They set their families back years.

To me, the most qualified person to run a crime family would be someone that is not really violent, but respected. Someone who specializes in white collar crimes. If someone makes a living money from violence, robbery, or drug dealing, they don't seem like someone who would be sophisticated enough to run a crime family.

Just some observations from the book.