Originally Posted By: ht2
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

The name, "Murder Inc." was provided by a tabloid newspaperman of the era. While they did plenty of violence, I seriously doubt that they pulled off 1,000 hits, or that Pittsburg Phil did 500 or even 100.

The 1000 estimate came from the Brooklyn DA. Seems like he pulled this number out of thin air.

Alfa - do you have a source regarding Lepke cut? How would anyone know? It's doubtful even Reles would know about that. I think Lepke was the most powerful when it came to labor racketeering.

I don't have one, but that's my point. Where is it recorded? If Lepke was predominant in the garment industry, then he would not have to pass any of his earnings to the mob at all. This is assuming he was paying tribute. If you have to pay tax, you are not the strongest factor.

The two families that inherited his rackets, according to this thread, are the Lucchese and Anastasia families. I would hazard the guess that those two families were supervising Lepke all along. I really don't think there was a great deal of a percentage left over once the Anastasia family and the Lucchese family got a cut from Lepke. On top of that, I am of the belief that the garment district income was passed up to the Commission and split between the Bosses. I personally see Lepke as a minority shareholder there.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."