Not a nice picture, but Im a bit torn here...Ive always thought punishment should take place in prison (not by other prisoners mind you)-simply being in prison and loss of liberty isnt a punishment for a lot of guys in there. Take away things like weight training where they can bulk up - runnning machines etc no probs, take away every single piece of entertainment and make it some place you WANT to avoid. These guys in the pic dont really look too worried, except obv the victim, I dont know what he's guilty of.

Too many times though I hear prison isnt a big deal. I know a few prison officers in the uk, 1 of which thinks extreme measures will never work, it just makes criminals harder. Im not so sure....i want prison to be as extreme as a society can possibly make it so it becomes a deterent, not a rehab programme. If society needs to then deal with the issues that person might suffer as a result afterwards, then fine, its better than not really punishing them in the first place. Yes there are some who can be rehabilitated and any good programme should identify that asap, but repeat offenders etc should be whipped daily and fed bread and water, no exaggeration, because they might be on youre doorstep next and tell me then how you feel. I dont care about the chin stroking, PC brigade who bleat on about human rights, simply because when you commit an extreme crime that offends another's human rights you deserve extreme punishment and lose youre "human rights".