Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Get, you wrote,

"Namely making up your mind before the facts are revealed and then holding on those views regardless of the facts"

The problem I see is that some people never even bother to read the facts. Although it is made available to everyone to read they refuse to or don't have the interest or intellect to comprehend them. They instead have already made up their minds. This is largely due by the narrative push down on them by guys like Holder, Obama, Sharpton and Jackson and other race baiter.

Fair enough point. OK. First let's remove Obama,Holder, and Sharpton from the equation for a second and get at the root.

Somebody with more knowledge can correct or clarify, but for example, the history, location, and perhaps isolation of Sicily influenced some of the general attitudes about outside authority.I've read that omerta was born out of this history.

Well, until roughly 1965..Blacks in this country really didn't have equal protection under the law. The lynching of American citizens and then their families having NO legal recourse, for example.Some famous cases of "Blacks being convicted of crimes that they were pardoned for years later(after death) Most of this is documented and surely you've seen images of cops roughing up Black women and kids during civil rights protests.Anyway, with very good reason there developed a fear of police officers and a mistrust of the legal system that developed in general among Black people in this country between 1865-1965.Between then and now some infamous cases of police brutality and cops not being indicted or not guilty verdicts. Rodney King verdict comes to mind. Oscar Grant was shot while lying on his stomach with arms behind back. Eric Garner and the non indictment ruling happened since the shooting of Mike Brown.
Those cases are significant to this discussion because all the facts came out....entire world saw video footage..legal process was completed and cops walked. (oscar grant case, cop did 2 years).
Black immigrants, who may not have had the same history and legacy here...saw the public cases of Abner Louima(Caribbean) and Amadou Diallo(African) and other cases and formulated their own views about police and legal system.

I wrote all that to say that any police protest is born out of the history of Black people's experience with law enforcement and legal system.
Any police protest is about more than just the person who was the latest person beaten or killed and, seeing how many of the past cases have turned out,people are wary of the legal system.I think the reluctance of the PD to release the police report of the incident had more to do with people thinking "here we go again" than what any public figure did or said.

Obama,Garder, and Sharpton aren't wizards or hypnotists.But in the polarized world of 2015..people automatically pick sides..."Cop is right I don't care what anybody says"vs "Cop was wrong I don't care what anybody says".Media exploits both sides for ratings.And predictably both sides ignore any facts that don't support their preconceived notions and jump up when they hear things that confirm their beliefs.

Rational people try to find facts underneath the noise and sensationalism. Most rational people can have civil discussions about even volatile topics. Media doesn't make money promoting civil rational discussions so you won't find any on tv/radio about Ferguson.

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter

As for your question,

"How would you characterize a man who was allegedly arrested in 2005 for "assault on a law enforcement officer and resisting arrest with violence" and who has been arrested twice in the past 3 years after domestic violence incidents?"

That answer is simple, what was the outcome of those arrest? Was he found guilty? If so, then he's a low life thug and a punk who beats on woman. Why that example Get?.

Police almost always have discretion to arrest a person using whatever guidelines they operate under and the seriousness of the crime. Each of the three times, cops opted to place the person under arrest.

-First charges are felonies, and charges were either dropped or reduced *
-Both domestic related charges where dropped once the victims either refused to cooperate or recanted the story

*His father was a Supreme Court magistrate in another state, so..?

The example being used is George Zimmerman. I used it because I wanted to clarify whether we were all basing our judgements of people on their ACTIONS or other things. The charges involving assault on police were known during the Trayvon Martin case. The arrests for domestic incidents happened afterwards.