Originally Posted By: JC
The Genovese have already had a boss who came up in and was based in NJ. Gerry Catena was the acting boss for Vito Genovese from the time that Vito Genovese went to jail until the time that Vito died in 1969. Then he was the official boss from 1969 until 1972 when Phil Lombardo or Funzi Tieri took the reigns, depending upon what you believe. Jerry was a NJ guy all the way, born and bred in Newark, the most powerful homegrown mobster ever from NJ.

From what I understand, Genovese remained the official boss until his death. I've only read about Catena being the underboss, though I suppose it's possible he could have been acting boss at some point. According to Cafaro, Lombardo took over as boss after Genovese died. Tieri was never the official boss, simply official underboss and then acting boss for Lombardo.

Anyway, all the recent info (what little there has been) suggests the Genovese family continues to be run by a ruling panel. As much as people on these forums want to see one guy officially sitting on the throne, it doesn't appear as yet there is any.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.