Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Being a dhimmi was like being under Jim Crow, but worse in many ways, and not too many people defend Jim Crow laws. Churches and synagogues could not be built or rebuilt if damaged, Jews and Christians could not testify in court against a Muslim, a Muslim man could marry a Jewish or Christian girl and force her to convert and raise their children Muslim, but a Jewish or Christian man could not marry a Muslim female. Jews and Christians were pressured to convert to Islam, but if a Muslim converted he or she could be put to death for apostasy. Jews and Christians often lived in their own communities, which were sometimes raided and pillaged, and the victims could do nothing but complain. And of course there were the persecutions. Doesn't sound too good to me.

I think you got the Dhimmi and Jizya system wrong. First of all churches and synagogues were allowed to be built and repaired but only if there was an okay from the government.
It is true that Jews and Christians couldn't testify against a Mulsim. But they were allowed to have their own legal systems and they were allowed to practice their religion as long as they didn't try to convert a muslim. From what I know Minority religions were treated pretty good compared to the west in Islamic countries, and yes Islamic countries did have their flaws and bad sides. But look at when the Jews were persecuted in Europe, they were accepted in the Muslim world. I don't think that I can convince you that Islamic tolerance was a good thing during that time, but if you have the time for it I would like to ask you to look at the other side of criticizing Islam and maybe investigate the tolerant side of it?

And btw the time during the barbary piracy was also the time when the colonisation of America started and I dont think that ended well for the Native Americans. Also look at the treatment of Africa and Asia during the time of imperialism. I can only conclude that both Christian and Islamic rulers harmed the world in different ways. This discussion is starting to become more like a ''your religion was worse than mine'' discussion.