Originally Posted By: thedudeabides87
Social ills? Which are you referring to?

Our biggest social problems come from economically deprived areas, my opinion

Economically deprived, i.e. poverty is one of the main examples. Crime is another. Kids being raised in one-parent households is another. It's a continual cycle that is the result of the breakdown of the family unit.

Quote:
They are not what you call "gay" rights but equal rights of American citizens and they shouldn't be changed or be called into question because you are "different." I don't see how the right to be gay or the right to marry someone you love is infringing on the rights of straight people.

I realize you believe that but that isn't the question. The question is, is there Constitutional support for gay marriage? The activist judges are using "Equal protection under the law" to justify allowing gays to be married to but it is, needless to say, quite a stretching and liberal interpretation. Much like "Right to privacy" was used to justify abortion. Gay people have the same rights as the rest of us - to enter into a marriage between one man and one woman. If they want to enter into a gay marriage, that is recognized and sanctioned by the government, that is an issue that should be left up to each individual state. Whether it directly infringes on the rights of straight people, although we've already seen that it does, is beside the point.

Quote:
The subject at hand is freedom. How all people are equal and no one should be restricted to live life to the fullest because of religious qualms. The federal government needs to step in (I hate myself for saying that) when a state government allows a religious opinion to influence the government's decision making.

I really don't see a valid political argument without religious overtones. Forcing people to live life the way you (not you exactly just the word I am using) want to define how it should be lived is what the actual issue is.

Once again, it doesn't matter if religion is the primary reason why people are against gay marriage. The federal government, under the Constitution, has no right to "step in" in this matter. There is nothing in the Constitution that gives it the right to usurp the state's rights in this issue. But you, and other gay marriage supporters, are all to happy to do that anyway and pretend that there is justification for it, even if it means ignoring the Constitution altogether. The Constitution means something or it doesn't. Liberals shouldn't have the luxury of misinterpreting it according to their own social whims which they then use activist judges to enforce.

Quote:
You define it how you do I define it how I do, who is wrong? Neither of us, because we live in a country where difference of opinion and different ideas are tolerated. Making something unlawful because it is in conflict with you personal views is just not right.

That's just it, it isn't a matter of our personal definition. Or how we (or even the Supreme Court justices) choose to interpret it. The Constitution says what it says. If you really cared about freedom, you would be fine with leaving it up to the citizens of each state to decide for themselves. It's you and those like you who want to force your agenda on everybody, despite what the Constitution says, through the courts. Ironic, to say the least.

Quote:
I can have it anyway I want since I can interpret what the bible says, what history says and what reason tells me.

Well I don't consider him a mad man, but no I do not think he was son of god. Before and after his death many people who were defying the Romans and the Jewish leaders claimed to be the messiah it was not an uncommon thing. Since the gospels were written by man 40 years after Jesus died, I have to say yes I am skeptical. That being said I don't deny the greatness of who Jesus was historically.

Matthew and John were two of the original 12 apostles and were eye-witnesses to what happened. Mark wrote his account based on the eye-witness of another original apostle - Peter. Of course Luke was a missionary companion of Paul later on. The argument secular people make about the gospels being written "years later" doesn't really hold water.

Quote:
I will just say your views on the Bible and mine differ greatly.

Well that's one thing we can agree on. But I would submit to you that a reason for that is because the scriptures need to be read - and can only be understood - through both reason (don't forget that comes from God too) and faith. Secular unbelievers throw faith out altogether, and because they do so, the scriptures will always be largely "closed" to them.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.