Originally Posted By: fergie
Mainstream christianity teaches that sinners and non believers will go to hell does it not though Dwalin? And be punished for eternity...

I am sure they won't if they basically remain good people. There is a quote by Apostle Paul:

Quote:
for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified; 14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves; 15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them);

I get it that the important thing is how you live and how you act, and what you have in your heart. If your are a good person, even if you are not part of Christianity but live as a good person in conformity with general Christian principles, you aren't supposed to go to hell just because you aren't a believer.
Maybe somebody will say it's a misinterpretation on my part, but I am a believer in a merciful and loving God, not somebody whose main goal is to send most people possible to hell.
There are many atheists and members of other religions that are much worthier of Heaven than many of those who proclaim themselves Christians.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."