Originally Posted By: thedudeabides87
If you find the time I would like to hear some of these sociological arguments.

For one thing, marriage between a man and woman - and the subsequent family that usually results - has been the social norm for millenia. The family is the building block of society. But now, because of these newfound rights gays have, the definition of marriage is supposed to be turned on it's head? I've already gone on many times before how this country long ago outlawed polygamy, though that actually did have Constitutional protection due to religious freedom, unlike gay marriage. So what makes gay marriage any different? How long before we have people wanting to marry their dog or their car? How far do we stretch the definition of marriage to suit people's claims about their "rights."

Quote:
I feel that we are free independent human beings with the right to own yourself, which means you can do what you want with your body. We should be free to exercise these rights as long as you respect the rights of other human beings(W/O getting into when a fetus has rights). So with abortion I think the government (state and federal) should stay out of it which includes state funded abortions and it should be left up to the individual. Its really nobody's business

If gays want to do their thing behind closed doors, that's one thing. Them trying to get government sanction for it, and changing the definition of marriage in the process, is another. That's when it becomes other people's business. A woman having an abortion is automatically somebody else's business - the child inside her. But, like the gay marriage issue, liberals are all about changing the definition of things, i.e. it's "not a child" or worthy of protection until it's crossed that magical second trimester line if not even later.

Quote:
You are implying that only liberals are for equal rights for gays and lesbians. Log Cabin Republicans are for equal rights and 61% of republicans under 30 are in favor of same sex marriage(I really hates polls though). I think you will see this trend amongst younger republicans grow in the years to come. People don't have a right to invalidate a commitment made by a couple that they never met and will never meet because they don't agree with a lifestyle choice.

You can quote polls all you want. In state after state it was voted that marriage was defined as between a man and a woman. It's why the gay marriage supporters had to get that changed through the courts. They didn't, and still don't, have the votes. Maybe that would eventually change over time but it should still be left up to the states. Not a single overreaching, activist judge.

And nobody is "invalidating" anything. Gays can be "committed" to each other all they want. They don't have a Constitutional right to redefine marriage in order to give their relationships legitimacy.

Quote:
We obviously have different interpretations of freedom of expression (some would say marriage is the ultimate expression of love) and what the Declaration of Independence says of unalienable rights to Life, Liberty and pursuit of Happiness.

You are taking these words and stretching them extremely far in order to justify whatever suits you. Unless we're talking about freedom of speech, which is another matter, there's nothing in the Constitution about "freedom of expression." And, using your logic, anyone could use the excuse of having the right to "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" to justify almost anything.

Quote:
It is funny how republicans (which I can only assume you are) love to say think if you are not a Christian then you must be a liberal. I said liberal once but only to copy the language or a post I was replying to. Other than that I try to leave left-wing, right-wing, liberal, conservative out of the conversation.

You are quoting Matthew 7:1

Luke 6:37 King James version
"Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven" Hasn't changed that much

So this is the correct scripture. So why is Matthews 7:1 correct and Luke 6:37 incorrect? God knows we judge but telling us we shouldn't, again we have different interpretations of the Bible and the meaning of the teachings of Jesus.

This is why I don't think secular liberals should be quoting scripture - they don't understand it, much less believe it. Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37 are two translations of the same utterance by Jesus during the Sermon on the Mount. The correct translation I posted above applies to both.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.