Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Even though there are sociological arguments that can be made against gay marriage, that many are against it because of religious reasons is beside the point. There is no Constitutional support for it. No more so than there is for abortion. But corrupt, activist judges have twisted the original intent and meaning of "right to privacy" and "equal protection under the law" in order to legalize these things. Everything not expressly written in the Constitution as being part of the federal government's jurisdiction belongs to the individual states. That includes gay marriage and abortion. But the liberals, for all their talk about public opinions changing in their favor, know they would lose in the court of public opinion. In fact, they did lose in most of the states when it came to gay marriage and that's why they chose to force their agenda through the courts just like they did abortion years before. It all comes back to so called "rights" they claim they have but is not given to them in the Constitution or anywhere else.

If you find the time I would like to hear some of these sociological arguments.

I feel that we are free independent human beings with the right to own yourself, which means you can do what you want with your body. We should be free to exercise these rights as long as you respect the rights of other human beings(W/O getting into when a fetus has rights). So with abortion I think the government (state and federal) should stay out of it which includes state funded abortions and it should be left up to the individual. Its really nobody's business

You are implying that only liberals are for equal rights for gays and lesbians. Log Cabin Republicans are for equal rights and 61% of republicans under 30 are in favor of same sex marriage(I really hates polls though). I think you will see this trend amongst younger republicans grow in the years to come. People don't have a right to invalidate a commitment made by a couple that they never met and will never meet because they don't agree with a lifestyle choice.

We obviously have different interpretations of freedom of expression (some would say marriage is the ultimate expression of love) and what the Declaration of Independence says of unalienable rights to Life, Liberty and pursuit of Happiness.

That's an unfortunately bad translation of the New Testament that secular liberals especially love to quote. No judgement means everything is OK and they can't be called into question about the things they support.

Of course, God knows we have to make judgement every day of one kind or another. The correct scripture reads: "Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged: but judge righteous judgment."

It is funny how republicans (which I can only assume you are) love to say think if you are not a Christian then you must be a liberal. I said liberal once but only to copy the language or a post I was replying to. Other than that I try to leave left-wing, right-wing, liberal, conservative out of the conversation.

You are quoting Matthew 7:1

Luke 6:37 King James version
"Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven" Hasn't changed that much

So this is the correct scripture. So why is Matthews 7:1 correct and Luke 6:37 incorrect? God knows we judge but telling us we shouldn't, again we have different interpretations of the Bible and the meaning of the teachings of Jesus.

Secular liberals also love to cite passages in the Old Testament, which seem harsh and archaic, in order to call all of scripture into question.

Many, including secular liberals, take more of a liking to what they read in the New Testament

Being secular or being a liberal has nothing to do with it. I may be secular and I maybe liberal compared to you but its really irrelevant. I am not calling the scriptures as a whole in question.

I understand that you feel you know the Bible and you probably feel I don't because I am a "liberal" who cherry picks. We obviously have a different view on who Jesus was and the importance that his teachings should have. I kind of already stated my feelings on Jesus and the Old Testament in another post, expanding would be futile.

The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter Sobchak: You mean... beyond pacifism?

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life