Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: thedudeabides87
I was trying to appeal the the religious folk. I'll try to keep bible quoting to a minimum since I am no religious scholar.

Exactly, and I'll do likewise. My point was, anyone can cherry pick Bible quotes to suit their agenda.

Now I personally believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, but I also believe that man has translated it in very contradictory ways to suit their own beliefs. But Leviticus is pretty clear on homosexuality if you ask me. Because the translation is the same across the board (Greek, Aramaic, etc.).

But again, best to keep the Bible out of it smile.

I won't quote anything, but I find religion/theology interesting so I will try to respond without bring up the specific Bible passages. I don't think I was cherry picking for an agenda. I think it is valid to "quote" Jesus from the Gospel of Luke, I say this because Christianity (Catholicism, Baptist, Protestant) are based on the teachings of Jesus. Regardless if you think he is the son of God or not, no doubt he was a radical figure who challenged the status quo. His teachings were in conflict with Jewish authorities and the teachings of the Torah(I very well could be wrong) which is why they challenged him, called him a drunkard etc. So since the we should take what Jesus "said" as gospel (pun intended) I kind of feel the Old Testament should be taken with a grain of salt.

I deliberately "quoted" Jesus because I feel his teachings are more important (for Christians) than the Old Testament which people seem to pick and choose (especially religious leaders) which verses that should be practiced (eating pork, shellfish and rabbit are all prohibited in Leviticus)

I'm not trying to offend you or insult your religion/book you may find holy, just what I took from my time at Catholic school (Christian Brothers 6th-12th) and Baptist church (11 years). I may have a lot to learn.

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
Originally Posted By: OldVines
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll

and I know this will never happen, but, why not all of them just "stay in the closet" and do what they want to do behind closed doors.

can't he question just be easily flipped and asked why can't they just come out of the closet and do what they want?

this world belongs to those who can assert their will. everyone else is along for the ride.

what you think is right or wrong means nothing to someone who doesn't recognize the basis for YOUR definitions of right and wrong.

IMO there are more important things to worry about than whether a couple of cocksuckers can share benefits or not.

yes, that's true,there are more important things to discuss.

we agree on that.

Definitely more important things going on in the US social issues like this are used to fill up news time so they don't have to report on important things

Last edited by thedudeabides87; 02/12/15 07:12 PM.

The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter Sobchak: You mean... beyond pacifism?

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life