Originally Posted By: Oscarthedago
Originally Posted By: pmac
I know that after 2 years of sentencing in fed court you can't start cooperating. Famous turncoat burt kaplan case example. He's 7 yrs into his 15 for weed. The feds needed him so bad when Burt told them he paid to have another inmate assumed the feds indicted him and used that crime as a way to get him the 5k letter for resentencing. Don't know how the state does it but the philly state let 2 federal rats rot in there state system after the fedset them go only for the pa. Doc to hold them on the state charges roger vella did like 10+ years and harry hunchback guy how shot sal tests the turned fed rat. They still need a 2 guy to help nicodemo story's.

To the contrary, Chucky Porter, former underboss to Mike Genovese in Pittsburgh, started cooperating after 2+ years in federal prison after his 1990 RICO conviction. He never testified against anybody, but he led the FBI down the road to dismantle operations in Youngstown, West Virginia and quite a few gambling operations in the greater Pittsburgh area. Bottom line, if Nicodemo has info about the hit on Johnny Chongs, the Feds will listen...I don't care how far into his sentence he is. Same state. And I could tell you that NOBODY expected Chucky to talk, but Phil Leonetti was one of the guys who testified and did a lot of damage. If the FBI can solve a mob murder, they'll do it for the publicity.

Thats what pmac was saying. Tony nicks is not going to federal prison like Chucky Porter, he is going to state prison. The feds have a limited ability after a sentence is given by a state of PA judge to overturn or otherwise limit the terms of confinement.

They are separate, sovereign jurisdictions with different rules. A judge in PA would have absolutely no statutory duty to even read or consider a 5k letter in resentencing. In fact, there may be mandatory minimum restrictions against it. After PA gives the sentence, there would be big obstacles to changing it. That makes Tony less likely to rat, knowing the consequences are set in stone.

However, the feds could try him again. As for double jeopardy- the feds can't try him again on the murder. However, they could roll the murder along with anything else they know into a racketeering case.

Last edited by LittleNicky; 02/08/15 06:24 AM.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here