Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
Originally Posted By: padrone
I have to disagree with you Binnie. Truman was never in the Klan. He was approached and even considered joining but refused when he heard their stance on Catholics. He also integrated the military and was instrumental in creating the State of Israel and implementing the Marshal plan. Does not sound like a Klansman to me. Also, by dropping the bomb he saved countless lives since many believed the war would have moved to mainland China where even more people would have died. And do not think he took the dropping of the a bomb easily, he struggled with it and had to put on a strong face.

As to Lincoln...are you mad? Lincoln did not want the war at all and would have kept slavery in the South if it meant preserving the Union. Many in the north were tired of the war and wanted to let the south be its own entity and it was not until Gettysburg that people came on board. The last thing Lincoln wanted was bloodshed, but if he caved what would we be today? And how many more years of slavery in the south? Lincoln reached out with the olive branch more times than any man in modern history. Preserving the Union was a pretty big deal

have to disagree with you on both counts padrone, Truman admitted he was in the klan, he also presided over mccartyism which he refused to speak out against, nuch less stop,

Lincoln offered to let the south keep their slaves for forty years if they would surrender, this was 1863, he was determined to kill every man, woman, and child in the south to get his way.

to me nothing less than a butcher.

Actually if anything Dwight Eisenhower did his utmost to avoid the McCarthy topic and resided over the majority. I don't think McCarthy is particularly relevant to Truman or Eisenhower, but since his farewell address mentioning the Military Industrial Complex, Eisenhower has came as close to a saint in many CT's eyes as possible. Many of the accusations were levied against Trumans own Administration which he imo rightfully laughed off as baseless accusations, Dwight only really got involved when some assumed he was soft or even supportive of McCarthy. Again though i fail to see how this addresses anything Padrone said, or how McCarthy is relevant to Truman.

So by your own admission Lincolns only goal was to preserve the Union and Slavery was a secondary matter for him. Yet the Confederates who declared their intent to secede as soon as Lincoln was elected, and started the war at FT.Sumter, who just to add had numerous references to not only preserving but expanding slavery throughout the newly acquired territories in both the overall CSA and each Seceded States constitutions, weren't at least partly to blame for not just the start but the continuance of the war, from their blatant refusals to negotioate with the union?

Lincoln was certainly not a saint and i'm continually surprised with the way he is portrayed sometimes considering some of his actions like suspending Habeus Corpus, but his main goal was to reunite the union and he achieved it; both sides can be accused of butchery but it's ridiculous to lay it at the feet of just the Union or Lincoln.