What do you think were the most significant organized crime trials in the 20th century? I mean, ones that really harmed a specific organization or had the potential to do so. Usually, if a boss and a couple of underlings are arrested, they are immediately substituted, but what if the whole gang "administration" is removed and lose all appeals?

The first coming to mind are:

1) The Morello-Lupo mafia trial in 1910; New York (imprisoned for 10 years the boss of bosses Giuseppe Morello, the boss Ignazio Lupo a a number of mafia members of lower position)

2) The Camorra trial in 1918; New York (the main camorra boss Pellegrino Morano sentenced to 20 years to life, boss Alessandro Vollero served 14 years, boss Leopoldo Lauritano sentenced to 5 years, (boss?) Angelo Giordano executed, (Morano's underboss?) Antonio Parretti executed, a number of lower camorristi imprisoned and the corrupt detective Michael Meali removed from service)

3) Egan's rats trial in 1924; St.Louis (boss William "Dint" Colbeck put away for 16 years, also imprisoned another 8 prominent members of the gang, leading to its implosion and division in smaller groups)

4) The 1939 trial in Kansas city (convicted at the same time the mafia boss of the city, Charlie Carrollo, the corrupt police chief, Otto Higgins, and the local corrupt politician n.1, Tom Pendergast, with several associates). This trial in my opinion had a big potential, but wasn't de-facto very effective due to the short sentences.

5) The 1943 Chicago mafia trial (basically put away the whole outfit administration except Tony Accardo, including the power-behind-the-throne, Paul Ricca, while the front boss, Frank Nitti, killed himself). In my opinion, this trial is generally underestimated and overshadowed by the media-overblown "Family secrets" in the 2000s. While Family Secrets only put away a couple of semi-retired individuals with replacements ready for them, the 1943 one had a great potential to throw the whole organization into disarray due to the imprisonment for 10 years of almost all key members. Unfortunately, the effect was nullified due to them having bought the freedom after 3,5 years.

6) The Apalachin conspiracy trial after 1957 (nothing much came out of it, yet it was a great wasted possibility to put away the WHOLE AMERICAN MAFIA LEADERSHIP at least for some time)

7) And, of course, the Commission trial in concluded in 1987 (hit all of the 5 families in New York, even though the Gambino defendants died before trial and the Genovese boss was the front one. Still, a number of important bosses and high-ranking members received up to 100 years).

What do you think, which criminal proceedings could be added to the list? Many, like Family Secrets or the John Gotti trial were in my opinion a little overestimated concerning their alleged effect on the mafia organizations, while some others had more effect of potential, but usually aren't given much credit.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."