Originally Posted By: TheRedZone
the US army is over-idolized imo, but I, unlike others, don't hold the premise that any and all US military intervention can be equated to "protecting our freedoms", so opinions will of course vary wildly as to whether being in the army automatically makes you a hero.

I would like to know how the army is "over idolized"? Because they put their lives on the line while you don't? Seems like a good enough reason to tip your hat to them, being the fact that they would stand up to the enemy while you stood behind them regardless if they agreed with your political views or not. That's loyalty 90% of America does not possess anymore.

The Army didn't choose to go to war, Congress and the elected politicians did. The Army also didn't decide to pull out and leave a new born democracy in the midst of chaos to satisfy popular liberal opinion. Once again that's the politicians that ultimately caused thousands more to die from an attempted overthrow that wouldn't have happened had there been at least a contingency force present. That's something everyone forgets when they call a soldier in uniform a killer or decide not to show respect.

Most that join the US Military do so not to "kill" but rather to pay for schooling, become advanced in a special job (diesel mechanic, aircraft mechanic, military police, computer technician, etc) That can open up doors to the future.

From an Infantry stand point, even I myself as a former officer will tip my hat to the snipers. If you are captured and confirmed to be a sniper, you aren't just executed, your are tortured until you die. Snipers strike fear into the enemy's mind because it isn't like engaging the typical infantry unit in the point that you can see who you are fighting. It is VERY psychological to someone when their squad is dropping and you have no idea where the rounds are coming from to be able to call in artillery or air support.

I'll even admit, the guy is a little too hardcore even for my standards. A lot of veterans have problems with the fact that we volunteered to serve the country, not serve then put our stories on the line for political or monetary gain. The medals or heroic deeds can be praised, but to run around and brag about it is nothing short of compensating for another shortfall somewhere's else in life. Kind of like the non combat guys that spent a year in Anaconda restocking commissary shelves then get back to the states and use the "decorated combat vet" line to prove a political point. "Yeah bro, cool commendation medal, get behind the light blue colors of the infantry and hold your cooking pan against your chest, wouldn't want a stray enemy round to graze ya."

"What are you cacklin' hens cluckin' about?!?!"

"Is that him?!? With the sombrero on?!?"