Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Joseph's parents were Joseph (Giuseppe), Sr., and Rosalie (Rosalia), and his siblings were Carmela, Maria and Dominick (Domenico). They originally came from Sferracavallo and were closely connected to the LoCiceros and the Vassallos. Joseph grew up at 426 East 13th Street, very close to Saverio Virzi, a caporegime under Ignazio Lupo and later Toto D'Aquila. All of these families, and that of Frank Scalise, were related back in Sicily and a number of these relatives (fathers, uncles, grandfathers, etc) were identified as Mafiosi in Palermo in the 1890s, some even farther back. Also, Giovanni Riccobono, Joseph's uncle or great-uncle (I'll have to double-check on that), was one of the oldest men to enter Sing Sing Prison; he was convicted of murdering a police officer. In the early 1900s, under Virzi, the Riccobonos were known as notorious Black Handers. BTW, this isn't too far from where Lucky Luciano grew up; Luciano was close to several young men who grew up here and later became Gambinos, such as Frank Scalise, Joe Biondo, Steve Armone and others, but Luciano ended up going with Masseria.

"Mafia royalty" for sure. Perhaps even more so than the Gambinos. If anybody is interested in this early stuff, and would like to know more, you can find an excellent researched article here.

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/739915

I´m not trying to peddle here because I have no financial interest in this. I´m just giving you guys a heads up of what is available out there.

Originally Posted By: Extortion
He's definitely is a Riccobono and in the suicide letter it even confirms it (although it could be another johnny I doubt it) and I believe in the book the author was able to verify him being one or having a name change. The guy is so rich and the story is so extensive I don't think he'd make up baseline facts like those up. Apparently his father was a complete and utter psychopath who told him "if you are going to do evil, make sure you do it as evil as you can." or something like that.

Well, there were two John Riccobonos listed as have been with the Gambinos. But I doubt that either one of them is the Jon Roberts from American Desperado. The first one was born in 1910 and died in 1984. This is probably the Johnny referred to in the suicide note. This guy was made in the 1950s. The second one was an associate (possibly made) in the 1970s and nicknamed "Sonny". He was born in 1939. If anybody knows the exact date of Jon Robert´s birth, then we could confirm/challange Jon Robert´s story.

[Linked Image]