I know absolutely nothing about American Desperado. Haven´t read the book and have no clue if Jon Roberts were related to the Riccobonos in any way. Would be nice if somebody could set the record straight regarding this. He was definitely not made although he (may have) claimed this in his book.

Joseph Riccobono is an interesting guy. According to informants, he played a vital role in setting up the Anastasia hit. Allegedly, he appeared during a Commission meeting in front of the bosses and explained why Anastasia had been hit. He claimed that Anastasia had wanted to kill him and Joe Biondo and therefore had acted in self defence. Pretty sure this is not the whole picture of what actully happened. I believe in reality, Riccobono had his back covered by Lucchese and Genovese, and probably Gambino too, the real conspirators.

The crew Riccobono hailed from is the well known, once powerful Lower East Side Gambino crew that was run by Biondo and later by the Armone brothers. He seems to have been a filthy rich guy who had numerous of interests in the Garment center. Involved with labor racketeering first and foremost but I´m sure he also had traditional blue collar rackets under his control. He was caught in the Apalachin raid and jailed for a year for contempt. Released after having furnished "responsive" answers in front of a hearing, although he never revealed anything of importance.

Informants described him as very meticulous, neat, expensive dresser who was very devoted to his wife. They also described him as an avid boxer fan and race track addict. Loved to go fishing from charter boats leaving from Staten Island. He had terrible health. History of:

- sinus condition
- pleurisy
- bronchitis
- gallbladder problems
- prostate gland problems
- polyuria
- nocturia rales of both lungs
- syphilis of the central nervous system

In 1963, he attempted suicide by cutting his wrists and the alleged reason for him wanting to end his life was that he had just learned that he also was ill with cancer. He somewhat lost his stature with the Gambino Family after his suicide attempt. Joe Zingaro was a captain who was offered the consigliere spot but turned it down. Riccobono remained as consigliere but due to sickness and lack of mobilty, Joe N. Gallo was named acting consigliere and gradually took over Riccobono´s duties. It is believed that Riccobono was fully retired by 1969. He died in 1975. He was married to Christine, but I don´t think they had any children. Riccobono may have had children from a previous marrige though. One of the suicide notes found (which was addressed to his wife) said: "I tried my best to lead an honorable life. My greatest sin was to listen to my heart instead of my head. Forgive me. Try to readjust your life. There is Mary, Elsie and Johnny. God have mercy on my soul. Personally, my wife, my last thoughts are of you."

His brother is a mystery. I´m not sure they were close. I have no knowledge of him being a skipper. They say his name was Salvatore, but I´ve seen him listed as Thomas Salvatore Riccobono. According to FBI reports, Thomas was born in 1878.

[Linked Image]