Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt

So let Rose reapply, and come clean and be contrite in a public forum. It would be some interesting filler on MLB Network, and serve as a message to current and future players about the downside of gambling. He probably has the support of a majority of fans. And instead of the Commissioner deciding, let the owners and living Hall of Fame players vote on his reinstatement. That way, his fate isn't in the hands of one person, but a cross-section of baseball's past and present.

Part of Bud Selig's legacy will be tarnished with the PED issues and MLB's slow reaction to implement rules. It's vastly different now - there's a good partnership with the MLBPA to adapt to changes in PEDs - but from at least the McGwire/Sosa chase in 1998 to Bonds breaking Aaron's record in 2007, there were far too many issues with enforcement and leadership from Selig's office. Until a few seasons ago, there were no serious consequences for this cheating - when Palmeiro was caught in 2005, all he received was a 10 day (not game) suspension.

I feel as if Rose has done enough to come clean. In 2004, he finally admitted to Selig and in an SI cover story Rose admits betting on baseball. Could it have been a more contrite apology? Sure, but it's been out there for over a decade.

BTW, with your being a Heat fan like me, did you cringe with the Tom Sizemore portrayal of Rose in that made-for-tv movie that aired on ESPN? I thought it was dreadful. It seemed like that was around the time that Sizemore was having some major issues with addiction.