Originally Posted By: BAM_233
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: SC
Also why Ted Williams had a relatively low percentage of gaining entry. Williams was the best ballplayer of my lifetime and he didn't make the 95% club. Many baseball writers didn't like him because of his caustic personality.

I agree with that to a degree, SC. I've read that away from the game and the media that Williams was a sweetheart and a MUCH nicer guy than DiMaggio. But DiMaggio knew how to work the media. Williams didn't give a shit about kowtowing to a bunch of leech reporters. Good for him!

And as an aside, Willie Mays was the best ALL AROUND outfielder of your lifetime.

Was it Williams that stopped tipping his cap at the crowd after the fans booed him in of his first seasons? I thought I remember him saying that in Ken Burns Baseball, but not 100% sure.

Williams did more than that, one time after hitting a home run he spit up at the press box at fenway park.

the writers didn't like him at all, but, it didn't take away from his great hitting.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"