Originally Posted By: afriendofours
My biggest gripe with GF III was that Michael was no longer Michael anymore, but he was Al Pacino, during his "hoo-hah" era.

I mean not only did he no longer look like Michael but the brooding, calculating demeanor was gone completely.

Im not sure if that was done on purpose to show us Michael had grown, but it was like watching a different character or just Pacino.

Sofia Copppola takes alot of flack for her acting in the movie, it probably didn't help that she was the directors daughter. But i really didn't think she was that bad, i mean shes not a top class actress sure, but she wasn't as bad as some make out.

GF III for me showed us just how invaluable John Cazale and Robert Duvall were to the first two movies. Its a pity they didn't work something out for Duvall.

To me, the role of Michael Corleone goes like this:

GF1, GF2: Al Pacino
GF3: Tony Montana with a New York accent

Voice aside, it's as if Pacino is playing a parody of Michael Corleone in GF3. For somebody who's out of the business and supposed to be redeeming himself via charity, he's anything but. The outbursts are so over the top; granted Michael was angry at times in GF2, but his reactions were much more controlled and measured.

I don't have an issue with Sofia Coppola's acting, aside from some shitty lines she was given -- her telling Vincent "I'll give you a hint...he's Italian" is just horrid. I don't think any other actress would have been much of a difference. Sofia probably gets more flak because of the nepotism perception.

On the other hand, Bridget Fonda serves no purpose in the film, other than a parking place for Vincent for the night.

FFC did alright when he was able to slot Michael V. Gazzo into what was Clemenza's character in GF2. That does not work when you swap George Hamilton for Robert Duvall. Besides, what powerful businessman has a lawyer named BJ Harrison?

Oh, let's not forget GF3 also had Ron Jeremy...