Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane
Originally Posted By: xs0u1x
at what point do we become the monster we are trying to eradicate?

I guess the geneva conventions only apply to countries not named The United States of America.

that's pretty fucking shameful and insulting to use a picture of somebody's last moments alive to make a political statement.

Osama won...this country today is but a shade of its former self pre 9-11. we have a populace that is so afraid of its own shadow, that it's willing to give up rights just for a sense of security. whether it be the patriot act, or whatever, all you have to say is "9/11" and "allah" and bam....government does what it wants and takes more and more. you people bitch about the nsa spying on our own citizens, but at the cry of 9/11 or "never forget" you tell them to continue business as usual.

I'm assuming when we start waterboarding our own citizens as long as the government says they were suspected of something it will be okay?

Osama is dead. The man that claimed to have orchestrated the deaths of thousands during 9-11 and was the leading figure of the insurgency that killed thousands more in the Middle East. So let's round it off to say (let's be very conservative) ten thousand AMERICAN LIVES that were ended from this man and his ideology and hatred towards America. Yet you claim it to be shameful of America to display his body and show his last moments?

That wasn't shown for war propaganda, that was shown by Obama at a crucial point when his ratings were down. I'd be willing to bet his body was in the White House for half a year in a sealed bag that said: "Obama: Break seal at lowest job approval point to create political distraction. Sincerely, Hillary"

Do you even know why Osama hated America? Never mind, I'll educate you today on facts and not biased information you get from your preferred trustworthy news network.

The Taliban as we know it started as guerrilla warfare fighters to stand against the USSR (That's the Soviets). At this time we were in a cold war with the USSR and openly objected to Russia's imminent invasion of the Middle East since our main priority was to stop the spread of Communism.. Russia decided it would make a move for power and defy us, so guess what, they invaded despite widespread criticism by numerous nations.

The US had three options:

A. Back down with no action on the World's stage and lose credibility.
B. Send traditional fighting forces (That's our branches: Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force) and risk an all out war with the Soviets which would have probably ended in MAD warfare and me not writing this right now. (That's Mutually Assured Destruction from Thermonuclear Weapons)
C. Covertly send clandestine agency's to train and equip the Taliban to combat the Soviet's on a Consistent basis.

....We Chose C.....

In layman's terms, the US government took a group of Afghans and turned them into a formidable fighting force. The US empowered the Taliban, the Taliban didn't empower itself.

Let's fast forward to the end of the war with Russia pulling out and the Afghans winning against the Red Army. Hey everything is awesome, the USA had relatively little bloodshed lost and were in sole position as the world's dominant superpower.

It was at this point when left and headed back to the states that Osama decided that us funding his little army wasn't good enough. He felt as if the US government used his people to keep Russia into a prolonged conflict and drain it's resources.

And boy was he pissed...

Fast forward to 9-11, we are talking about 30 years down the road.

You do understand that it didn't matter if Bush or Gore was president; Osama was planning either way. So let's not get politics into this since the share was to equally blame among ourselves. Either party would have been faced with the same decision. What else would we have done, not taken action for the senseless acts of violence committed towards OUR OWN PEOPLE? Protesting always works, maybe we should have done that instead.

As well as for your Geneva conventions remark, would you care to elaborate on that a little more?? Your saying the execution (I'm talking beheading) of unarmed news reporters and civilians is the equivalency of water boarding the men who carried out these deaths or at least controlled the people that did?

If Osama won, ISIS would be using his name as a martyr for a rallying call before going into battle...I mean skirmishes, because they shoot then run. They only play tough guy when they capture an unarmed person, subdue him to where he cannot fight back, then rant about "Allah and tacos and Easy E" and some other inaudible then cut the poor guys head off.

Osama is dead, the Taliban has almost entirely been replaced by ISIS, turn the page.

It's like I said, Whack a mole, knock down one, out pops another. It'll never end, they've been doing it to each other for centuries. Their relevancy only continues because of the petroleum deposits beneath them. Once the middle east is dried up and can no longer produce, no one is going to lend assistance to them. They will be the new Africa with famine, war and genocide among each other.

What if we water board Serial Killers? Would you object to that? Technically they are our countrymen too, I mean you gotta take the good with the bad right?

I can agree with most of your post it was actually well written out and historically accurate. yes, we essentially created al qeada.
however, osama may be dead, but he still won.
1. the dollar is weak
2. the world markets are pretty much unstable
3. americans are willing to give up basic rights for a sense of security

through one act of terror he essentially changed how Americans function and think. mission accomplished....

I don't care about bush or gore, what i'm saying is you can't pay for two wars on a credit card. we fucked the next 2 or 3 generations with this debt.

Yes I would object to the waterboarding of serial killers. you know why? because you can't pick and choose what parts of the constitution or law you want to follow. or international law for that matter. What seperates us from those animals if we just do the same shit they do? now would I like to torture them? yeah sure.

would everybody here please stop calling me a liberal? i'm far from it.