Never been to prison. There are different types of prisons in the United States, depending on the crime you committed and how the law views you as a prisoner. The two big different ones are Federal and State prisons. From those that I know that have did time in prison, most say that Federal is a lot better than doing time in State, where a few others who have said state was better than federal, but it depends on where that prison is located and what state it is in. Worst is doing time in County jail. As one poster already said, they can hit you with other counts while you are in jail, and add those sentence to your time, so lets say you were convicted and senctence to four months, you served two already and the law investigated you on something else during this time, you go to court again, and you are convicted on this count, lets say the judge sentence you to a year. So now you have 14 months on your sentence remaining. They do this a lot to inmates that cause the jail problems or law enforcement.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green