Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
I know two elderly ex teamsters, with 30 plus years in. they both got their pensions, and they were good pensions, however the medical insurance depended upon the company you worked for.

the two guys I know have no medical from the teamsters because their former employers went bankrupt, it really did't matter to them as they have medicare.

but, if you retired without medicare, and your employer goes broke, you don't get any medical insurance from the IBT.
this is the understanding I have about the teamsters retirement.
correct me if im wrong.

It depends on the local, not the job itself. But it doesn't matter if your employer goes bankrupt after you retire. Vested money is vested money. It can't be touched.

But it's true that most pensions don't carry medical for life. If you want that deal you take a civil service job or do a three year minimum in the armed forces.

I'd actually love to start a thread on the unions and how they work aside from what I've learned in school. I work in the oilfield, and in Louisiana if you say union, nobody has any idea what you are talking about. Louisiana has some kind of "fire without cause law" that basically says companies can fire you for no reason, I'm not sure of the specifics but that's the general guidelines. I assume that's why there is no significant union presence down here.

"What are you cacklin' hens cluckin' about?!?!"

"Is that him?!? With the sombrero on?!?"