Originally Posted By: baldo
OK, so it's agreed that there is a lack of talent in the younger generation and it seems that eventually most of the street rackets may go to newer immigrant crime groups (possibly). But what about the white collar rackets like the unions? If you have let's say Genovese guys that control certain unions or have influence, will these new immigrant groups be able to come in and take over? Or in this case, does the mob have someone to hand it down to. I'm assuming you don't need a "neighborhood" or "street presence" to keep influence in a union. I could be wrong as I have zero experience with unions. Maybe Pizzaboy or others can offer some insight. Thanks.

The union influence has diminished a great deal since the '90s. But the Genovese and Luccheses families in particular still have strongholds in certain areas (The Laborers and the Waterfront obviously at the forefront). But I expect those strongholds to also diminish over time. Not any time soon, but over time nonetheless. And I think when they're gone, they're gone (much like what happened with most of the Teamster locals).

So in my opinion, long story short and all that, the unions that are still under the mob's control will stay there but their grip will slowly diminish. And when they're out of the unions, I don't see an other immigrant group picking up the pieces. Because as a guy who dedicated 25 years of service to the Teamsters and organized labor, it pains me a great deal to admit that unions are slowly dying.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.