Originally Posted By: Questadt
Having taken another close look at the meeting scene with Senator Geary in Michael's office, in Godfather II, there are actually several subtle, nuanced gestures and expressions there that deserve special mention (most of which I don't think have come up yet):

* As the meeting is getting started, Michael and Senator Geary stand up as a gesture of courtesy while Tom enters the room. Michael remains standing until Geary begins to sit back down, at one point hesitating while he waits for Geary to take his seat. Michael may be a gangster, but he's a cultured gangster.

* As Geary begins his spiel, i.e. "Now my sources tell me that you plan to make a move against the Tropigala...", there's a very telling exchange of glances between Michael and Tom. Michael seems to be silently asking Tom, 'How does he know about this?', while Tom's sheepish look responds, 'Beats me. I'm as surprised as you are.'

* There are a couple of instances in which Tom watches Geary with suspicion as Geary speaks: the first while Geary is dictating the terms of his intended extortion; the second as Geary utters his ethnic slur about "oily hair and silk suits".

* The cold, stony "game face" that Michael presents to Geary as he's being shaken down and insulted; never betraying a bit about what he might be feeling at the moment.

* As Geary stands up, uttering: "OK, some people have to play little games. You play yours", he takes the little cast iron replica of a cannon that's sitting on Michael's desk, and points it straight at Michael. Michael notices, but does not show any reaction.

* While Geary becomes more belligerent and mean-spirited as he delivers his ultimatum, Michael's demeanor begins to shift. He begins to rock slightly in his chair, almost as if he's bobbing his head. By the time he replies, "Senator, you can have my answer now if you like. My offer is this: Nothing...", the chair is practically vibrating with Michael's cocky, arrogant energy. There is an expression of cold, controlled rage on his face as he dictates his own terms to the senator, his piercing black eyes unblinking. This is a cobra preparing to strike its prey.

* As Geary walks out the door, there is one more telling exchange of glances between Michael and Tom. Michael's expression is one of disgust; Tom's is one of contrition and embarrassment.

Not only are these some of my favorite scenes of Godfather II, the entire scene is one of my favorite scenes.

~ Q

What I also like about that scene is as Geary exits the room, he's a bit surprised the wives had been sitting out there the entire time.