Originally Posted By: Fleming_Ave
Maybe Merlino is not as powerful as a NY boss. So what? I would not fuck with him. Do you have to be as powerful as New York to kill someone?

Being feared and being powerful are too entirely different things. The Son of Sam had a city of almost ten million people scared half to death. That doesn't mean that he was powerful or respected.

I don't know why Merlino's supporters here get so bent out of shape when people say that he was "powerful" in his own city. Power is relative to your location. And in his locale (South Philadelphia), he was clearly in charge. Outside South Philly, not so much.

Here's the litmus: He lives in Boca now, right? Other than conning a pathetic old man to front a liquor license for him, does anyone believe that he has influence down there? I mean real influence? I just don't see it, and here's why:

There are a dozen New York guys living in proximity to the Boca-Delray area at least part time. Vinny Artuso's Gambino crew is very, very active down there (even though Vinny and Johnny are still away). The Westside has always had traditional rackets going on in South Florida. Hell, Tommy Farese (Colombo) lives in Delray pretty much full time now.

Point is, Joey may be the boss of Philly. But when it comes to being the most powerful wiseguy in Florida, he's not even in the running. He's clearly the undisputed King of South Philly, and he's "powerful" there. There's nothing wrong with that. But he's a big fish in a small pond. That's not an insult, so I don't know why people take it as one.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.