Originally Posted By: NickyWhip
Merlino was very powerful in Philadelphia because he AND his gang were feared. But, it was territorial power. The Pagans have/had a ton a power in the city too; but they wield it at THEIR bars, clubs, neighborhoods. No one group controls philly.

Philly is a very small, city, when you start cutting up the territory. PHilly mob has ZERO clout in North Philly, West Philly, and Center City. So, that leaves south Philly. Which, has been overrun by asians and african americans.

And with respect to the Genovese backing: THey had no choice but to back Merlino. Manna wanted Gotti Dead; Gotti backed Stanfa. Genovese would back anyone but Stanfa.

So, he is a big fish in a small pond. I wouldn't want the guy knocking on my door, but you can't compare Philly LCN to NYC; that stopped in the 80s.

Outside of Philly, in the surrounding areas, you can be independent of the mob. It's done all the time. There is no more street tax, unless you are looking to become associated with the Mob and want their protection.

He was in his very early 30s when he came into power. Drunk at bars and clubs, taking peoples money from the bar, beating bookies, etc. People just had to deal with it because of who his father was, the reputation and actions of the Mob around that time, Plus, he was fucking nuts too. There were dead people turning up.

His first go at boss had very immature behavior. It was 20 years ago. That's all I know of him, having witnessed it, just like a lot of people his age who lived in that area at the time.

But, I'm sure he's not beating bookies and taking money from bars anymore. He has more sophisticated scams now involving old jewish guys.

I agree with what you said except all the construction and union jobs going on in center city

Prime example of the lack of power regarding the philly mob is the fact that joe mastronardo had the biggest book in philly and of course it was up on the main line but, he allegedly didnt pay a tax to anyone in philly, and was maybe because he was backed by a NYC family, not sure on that, but he had a multi-million dollar book running just outside of s philly

but as you said joey had his people that would die for him and keep quiet for him and still do to this day and that is some power

and there is some major gang in south philly up near 20th street a black gang forgot their name but I guess they have really settled in there, which is something that would never have happened had there not been some sort of real mafia presence there

Last edited by merlino; 11/10/14 08:26 AM.