Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
now, we have another issue with the hall. that is the steroid era. I mean a-rod, mcquire, Conseco, Clemens, bonds, and others. the cheaters. I wouldn't let them in either. and, furthermore their records should not be allowed. selig erred for not dealing with the problem. he should have been on top of it.

how do you stand on this steroid situation?

There's the old saying about Vietnam: if you're not confused, you don't understand the situation. That's the steroids to me - on the one hand McGwire has 11% of the vote, on the other his manager in Oakland and St Louis walks in on the first ballot. It's ridiculous.

Basically, I'm in favor of rewriting the rule, "Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played," to something sportswriters can deal with. Make it clear that "sportsmanship" means that you didn't spike guys for fun, and get rid of the words integrity and character unless you want to have ethicists do an initial screening or something.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."