Originally Posted By: Belmont
Im not so sure merlino is nearly as wealthy as many think. If you look at what he and his guys engaged in, there were no control of unions or large construction projects.

Good point. And a few people are pointing out how smart Joey is for not having anything in his name. And I suppose that's true if he wants to be a thug for the rest of his life. But if you look at his counterparts who are about his age in New York, like Tore or Barney, for instance, these guys have legitimate wealth and they don't have to worry about enjoying their money for fear of being prosecuted for tax evasion.

In this day and age you MUST declare your income if you want to be able to put things in your own name. I mean, it's okay to live like that in your 20's and 30's. Maybe even your 40's. But the guy is 52 years old. It's time to declare some income if he wants to enjoy that money without worrying about the Feds.

Originally Posted By: Belmont
However, he was no where near gotti, scarfo sr, ally boy persico, or even vinny basciano.

Vinny left a lot of debt behind. But yeah, while he was active he was a money machine. And he was smart enough to have a dozen legitimate businesses in his name that he could declare income from. Everything from a deli to a video store to a real estate office to several construction sites. Unfortunately, between the government asset seizure, his legal fees, and the lifestyle that he enjoyed while he was on the street, there's nothing left.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.