Former Philadelphia mob boss Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino arrived at federal court in Center City this morning for a hearing on whether he violated his probation.

Merlino insists he has kept out of trouble since he got out of prison and moved to Florida three years ago.

But federal authorities call that story laughable.

They allege the 52-year-old ex-don began violating the terms of his probation within weeks of his 2011 release - meeting with members of La Cosa Nostra even as he was living in a federal halfway house meant to ease the transition back to postprison life.

What's more, they said, they have the photos to prove it.

U.S. District Judge R. Barclay Surrick is slated to hear the case.

For Merlino, who some law enforcement officials still believe is leading the Philadelphia family, the hearing will be his first appearance in a courtroom here since he was sentenced to 14 years in prison on racketeering conspiracy charges in 2001.

On the question if his probation, prosecutors have alleged that he enjoyed a night on the town in June with one of his former captains, a relative of a Lucchese crime family capo, and another ex-con at a swank Boca Raton cigar bar.

Merlino's lawyers have said their client either did not know those men were at the bar that night or was not aware of their criminal histories. They have criticized federal officials for seeking to revoke their client's probation just days before it was set to end.

In a filing Wednesday, prosecutors stood by their case.

"Merlino was the leader of the Philadelphia family of La Cosa Nostra," Assistant U.S. Attorney David Troyer wrote in Wednesday's filing. "His suggestion that his meetings with convicted felons and LCN members and associates were mere 'chance encounters' is laughable."

For Merlino, who some law enforcement officials still believe is leading the Philadelphia family, it will be his first appearance in a courtroom here since he was sentenced to 14 years in prison on racketeering conspiracy charges in 2001.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201410...fL7qb5kgavsq.99

In the last paragraph it says the word IS. I am not a jerk off like the people who asked me how it tasted when it says was, so I will just say maybe don't jump to conclusions.