Originally Posted By: Alfa_Romeo

I've often wondered why Carlo got so much respect. But part of it had to be because he might have inflicted medieval tortures on offenders. I read about the wiseguy or pretend wiseguy who was fed into the meat machine by Carlo's people. That's terror.

I think the respect Carlo got also came from the fact that he might have been more politically connected than the average mafia boss and the Gambinos on the street knew it. So killing him would be like killing their police, government, and legal protection. It made no sense to.

Carlo´s power mostly came from his closeness to Tommy Lucchese and Vito Genovese. He also had close relatives who were/had been powers within not only the American Mafia, but also among the Mafia element in Sicly. His brilliant mind and flawless leadership abilities must not be denied either. However, he was not known as a fighter or a man that would battle it out with someone. Physically imposing he was not and probably never a street fighter. He was Mafia loyalty from the beginning, just like many of the early leaders (Profaci, Bonanno etc) who all hade close connections and blood ties with powerful men in Sicily. He had an army of soldiers who were loyal to him. All this contributed to his power.

Who was this mobster you said was fed into a meat grinder?

And to answer your question. No, LCN bosses do not whack guys themselves.

[Linked Image]