I have a curiosity. Not being a mob guy or familiar first hand with that life, I often wondered how can a truly strong mafia boss keep his family in check without being a hitter himself.

Or let me phrase it like this. Are Bosses allowed to do their own hits under Cosa Nostra?

What I mean is, if a Boss has to rely on other people around him to hit his enemies, doesn't that sort of put him at the mercy of his hitmen and bodyguards?

On the other hand, if a Boss did their own hits from time to time, wouldn't that Boss exercise far greater control over his administration and family? He can call any of his lieutenants to a meeting and they have to arrive alone on his terms. They don't know whose at the meeting. They can't bring anyone with them, and the Boss can see them coming before they ring the bell to the hideout. On top of that, they must answer the Boss' every question and can be whacked by that Boss at any moment. So this Boss has everybody in deep check, his Underboss, Consigliere, Capos, everybody. A Don like that you aint takin out easily.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."