Just watching again after many yrs, and just had a thought and wanted to see what u fellas think

Ok, Sollozzo let's them know where the meet will take place so Michaels family feel
at ease

Which is how they smuggled in the weapon for Michael in advance

But why then, did Lou the driver suddenly make the u-turn ( ok I know it was to lose Michael's guards) but then they end up going to the prearranged restaurant anyway

Doesn't quite make sense, I mean all michael's driver had to do was head to the restaurant which is exactly what he did.

The whole point of losing the tail was to take Michael away from any backup, therefore would have made sense Sollozzo picking a new restaurant and disrupting any plans for a set up

If he was content with sticking with the original choice then the sudden u -turn was pointless.

Not to mention, by suddenly taking off with Michael, the Corleone family would assume mike was in danger. And dispatched men to see if he was ok at the restaurant. Which is the complete opposite of what Sollozzo would have wanted

Therefore again, doesn't make sense for Sollozzo to still head to prearranged restaurant.

The scene was a terrific scene by the way, was just as good the first time I watched it. So I understand why the director did what he did with the " gun in toilet "

Could have been more believeable had Sollozzo picked a random
Restaurant after losing their tail, and Michael realises he hasn't got the weapon

Picks up a kitchen knife and slaughters them both (we know Vito) was good with a knife