image sharing sites

The family of tragic nine-year-old twin boys killed by their brother yesterday said they will never be forgotten.

The bodies of Patrick and Tommy O’Driscoll were found at their home in Charleville, Co Cork on Thursday evening.

The boys’ parents, Tom and Ellen, were shopping in nearby Kilmallock, Limerick, at the time.

It is believed that two other younger brothers, aged three and four, raised the alarm.

Their brother Jonathan (22) was seen fleeing the house by locals before his body was found an hour later at a river bank in Buttevant, 15km away. It is believed he took his own life.

A HSE Air Corps air ambulance was dispatched to the family home to take the Patrick and Tommy to hospital, however it was quickly stood down when it became clear the twins were already dead.

Last night an aunt of the two boys said: “We want to say a very sad goodbye to two lovely little boys.

“We love them so much from the bottom of our hearts. They will never be forgotten.”

Local parish priest Fr Tom Naughton said last night: "I went down to the family and tried to comfort them as best I could.

"They're [the family] broken-hearted but they are people who have a deep faith and I reassured them that all the community there are with them to support them they are in prayers."

Post-mortem examinations are due to be carried out later today at Cork University on the bodies of the boys and their older brother.

Gardai confirmed in a statement last night: “Officers in Charleville, Co Cork are investigating all the circumstances following the discovery of the bodies of two young boys in a house in Deerpark, Charleville shortly before 5pm on September 4.

“They were pronounced dead at the scene. The bodies remain at the scene and the area has been sealed off for technical examination, diversions are in place.

“The office of the State Pathologist has been notified and post mortems are expected to be carried out.