The thing is that the FBI had bugs on the Mafia all over the country and not a single one even hinted at a connection to the JFK assassination. Most were shocked. Ralph Salerno went over this either before the Warren Commission or the HSCA. I went over to the National Archives in College Park around 2003 (years before Mary Ferrell put them up -- and are still incomplete) and went thru this material and more. The support for the Mafia conspiracy just wasn't there. A prisoner named James Files (real name Sutton) claimed to have been Nicoletti's driver. I've seen no evidence that he was, and I have maybe two hundred FBI files beside what's on the Mary Ferrell site. The guy's a hoaxer.

Bill Bonanno claimed that an attorney he knew named Roy Cohn, who was the investigator for the McCarthy hearings and later a criminal defense attorney for Carmine Galante, had incriminating photos of J. Edgar Hoover, and that's what kept him quiet. Ronald Kessler went thru all that and showed it was bogus and there were no photos. There was even a interview with Jimmy "Blue Eyes" Alo in a Miami paper and he was asked about that. He said if Lansky had photos (that's the other claim), then why did the FBI investigate and harass him so much? He said there were no photos.

Another source for all this is "Double Deal" by Sam and Chuck Giancana. Sam is the son of the late Chuck Giancana, and Chuck was the Outfit boss's brother. Chuck WAS a made member, but I think that Sam the nephew probably embellished what his father told him. Or else Chuck was a story teller, or Sam the boss told his younger brother embellished stories. The book is vague where it should be clear and sometimes the timelines are off. Most of it consists of Chuck's claims, but Sam didn't write the book as a question and answer dialogue, he changed his father's telling into an exciting story meant to sell books, and I'm not sure if any facts got lost in the process. It's a very different style than what Ovid Demaris did with Jimmy Fratianno. Demaris put Fratianno's words in quotes and when he needed to provide background it was clear it was separate. That wasn't the case in Sam Giancana's book.