I recently read Bonannos biography and he kept repeating that Cosa Nostra is not an organization in the military sense of the world, but it's rather a culture, a way of life. Same way to be a mafioso is not to be a soldier or a captain, but rather a way to carry yourself. I'm currently reading the Five Families and some of the quotes from early investigations repeat this thought.

So, what do you guys think about this? Maybe it's a stupid philosophical question, but it makes me wonder. It seems like the cooperating guys often miss the way of life and at the same time talk about the resentment of no honor and everyone breaking the rules. Of course they sing to save their asses, but you get the idea. Is the problem of Cosa Nostra (and gain of society) a lack of organization and too much personal freedom? Is it too much of a lifestyle and not a tight organization? I guess the reason why the mob is popular for fiction is the fascinating culture of it, and I'm sure that's why most of us are here.