SONY COMMENTS ON PLAYSTATION 4'S SUCCESS
SCEE Boss Jim Ryan is hopeful about the future.

In a recent interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe President Jim Ryan discussed the success of the PlayStation 4, and what he meant when he said the company would not be "complacent."

"In some ways, all that feeding frenzy last year [over new console releases] was interesting - probably great for [the press] - but I think, and I hope, that it has run its course now," he explained. "We're just getting on with doing our thing. We haven't really changed course at all. We've got plans, and we're confident about them. Some of that was laid out last night, other stuff will follow in due course. We'll just get on with it."

After announcing that 10 million PlayStation 4 consoles have been sold since its November 2013 launch, Ryan admits that the rocky start of the PlayStation 3 was a big motivator to get things right in the new generation. "Yeah, we made so many mistakes last time round that I won't list them now. But we did list them, and we vowed to rectify them. By and large, I think we've done that."

The Sony executive also cited the wide variety of games available on the console as a great way to reach a bigger and more diverse audience. "...what you saw a bit of last night [during the Gamescom conference] was the first signs of us starting to think about different audiences. Some of the games last night were 2015, possibly even beyond, where we're going to be looking at something a little bit broader, a little more mass. Those two things meant you had a range of types of developer activity, but also looking at slightly different audience profiles.

You've got Bloodborne at one end of it, Tearaway at the other."
"I kind of get...frustrated is perhaps too strong a word, but you hear, 'Where are the games for PlayStation 4?' and there are more than there have ever been at this stage on any new console platform," he said of the number of games available on Sony's new platform. "But I think 2015 is going to be great from that perspective. Starting with Destiny, it'll really begin to take off."