GAMESCOM 2014: METAL GEAR SOLID 5'S TOWER DEFENCE-STYLE MULTIPLAYER
New demo shows more multiplayer and... horse poo.

I don’t think I’ve ever sat through a game demo where horse dung was one of the main features, but Kojima never fails to surprise. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain’s Gamescom showing was muted in comparison to what was shown at E3 – it’s the same mission set in Afghanistan but played a different way, but it demonstrates the complete freedom the player has (if you’ve played Ground Zeroes you’ll know exactly what to expect).

Snake infiltrates the base under the cover of darkness this time round, because security is tighter and there are more guards patrolling the streets. The narrator explains this is because it’s the equivalent of a second playthrough, and the enemy AI has adapted from the player’s patterns and evolved. If you favour headshots then enemy troops will start wearing helmets; aim for the chest and more will be equipped with body armour next time.

The playthrough also showcased the improvements made to Snake’s cardboard box, including the dubious swimsuit model poster upgrade that stops enemies in their tracks (they’re smart enough to wear armour and helmets but are duped a picture in a women in a bikini?).
Upgrades are made by sending resources and high-level troops back to Mother Base using the Fulton – which, we’re shown, can also double as a weapon if used correctly. A chopper is called in for support and is guarding Snake’s route out of the compound. He doesn’t have the weapons to take it out and if he makes a run for it he’ll be spotted and gunned down. But the helicopter is circling above a jeep, so Snake plants C4 on the vehicle, hooks up a Fulton and steps back… The jeep flies into the air, collides with the chopper and boom, his escape route is clear.
And then there’s the horse poop. Snake’s horse can squeeze one out on demand, so when a vehicle patrol draws near a dirty trap is placed before Snake darts off for cover. Moments later, the jeep hits the turd and skids out, the crash stunning the guards long enough for Snake to run in, attach a Fulton and send it back to Mother Base.

It’s here, back at Mother Base, where we’re shown a little more of how Phantom Pain’s multiplayer will work. Every weapon, troop and piece of equipment you retrieve contributes to make your base bigger and better. Recruiting soldiers provides much-needed support in battle, while scientists unlock better equipment, which can be used both out on the field and also back at HQ.
This is key because other players can raid your Mother Base, to steal your resources, your troops… everything you’ve worked hard to build up. It’s therefore essential that you invest in defences for your base, from laser tripwires to gun turrets and UAVs - everything you find in the single-player game can be used back at base. It feels like a tower defence game played out in real-time in the Metal Gear world, with skilled players able to sneak in, steal what they need and get out without being detected. But get too greedy and you could alert the defending player, enabling them to join the fight to protect their precious base.
Although it was little more than a brief glimpse, Metal Gear Solid 5’s multiplayer already looks like one of the most interesting parts of the game. With Mother Base and resource management playing such a huge part of Phantom Pain, both in single- and multiplayer, stealing gear from other players could provide a fast-track way of getting essential equipment – but obviously it’s not without its risks.
Every time I see Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain I’m left wanting more – I loved the freedom Ground Zeroes gave the player, and to have this on a much grander scale is hugely exciting. The question is, when will actually get to play it for ourselves? Not soon enough, that’s for sure.

DON'T MISS ANY OF IGN'S GAMESCOM 2014 COVERAGE

ALL THE GAMESCOM PLAYSTATION NEW.