Here's one for the archives of "Crime Does Not Pay" from today's NY Times "Social Q&A":

A Stolen Snack to Remember

My neighbor left me the keys to his apartment while he traveled for a month overseas. I let myself in to borrow some peanut butter, found a zip-locked bag of lemon cookies and helped myself. It turns out they were pot cookies. Later, I was taken by ambulance to the hospital emergency room. I thought I was having a severe reaction to cold medicine. Now I’m looking at $2,000 in medical bills. Should I tell my neighbor? He may offer to cover some of my expenses, but I’m embarrassed.

Rachel, Denver

You should be embarrassed! When neighbors entrust us with their keys, it’s as a safeguard against emergencies. So we can let in gas company employees if there’s a leak — not gobble up their food or rent out the place on Airbnb. You and your neighbor might have made different arrangements, but he still doesn’t owe a nickel of your medical bills. If you tell him this story, it should be with an apology that, like Goldilocks, you made yourself a tad too comfy in his home.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.