Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
Revis, Apulia is the english name of the region,in italian is Puglia,Dwalin in the American Mafia with a few exceptions, the second or third generations of Italian-Americans don't speak Italian, they know only the minimum Cosa Nostra, omertà, caporegime etc.
It's happened to the sons of my uncle that emigrated to Canada, they speak English and only my uncle and aunt speak italian with us.

And keep in mind that the Italians in Canada hold onto the language a little longer than their Italian American counterparts. For the most part, in America, the language is gone by the time the grandchildren of the original immigrants are adults.

And there's nothing----and I mean NOTHING----more obnoxious than a fourth generation Italian American who doesn't understand the Italian language, yet picks up a dozen words of Italian slang, and uses them CONSTANTLY. Just like those mopes on "The Sopranos."

Like my pal Carmela always says, these people need to be shot grin.

I don't hate on them. But I just realize that they do not speak actual Italian and instead speak slang they picked up from TV shows and movies like the Sopranos, Godfather movies, Goodfellas, etc. that just perpetuate the myths about Italians/Italian-Americans and the mob, like the myth that most/all Southern Italians especially Sicilians, Calabrians, and Neapolitan people can trace their heritage back to someone who was involved in the mafia either in Italy or the United States, and other stuff that's not true.