Originally Posted By: slumpy
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: slumpy
I'm curious, did the heroin importation in Montreal begin under Vic Cotroni or Nick Rizzuto?

It began with Lilo Galante already in the 1950s. He was sent to Montreal to organize gambling but ended up organizing heroin shipments instead (in addition to the gambling). For some reason, Montreal and its ports were suited for it, probably because Lilo and the ones who ended up under him had that port (or portions of it) under control. Did he do this on the sneak? I believe so. Anybody who is familiar with A man of honor and who has studied it as carefully as I have, can easily see that Joe Bonanno was clearly against drug dealing. The problem is that his Family was not. Now, you may ask yourself why didnĀ“t Bonanno punish the members who were involved with the drug trade for breaking his rules? Well, then you need to ask yourself also, what does a boss do when finding out half of his Family is dealing in drugs?

That's awesome, thanks, I really don't know anything about the pre-Cotroni days. Most books on Montreal seem to begin at Vic Cotroni, as though he was the genesis of Italian OC in Canada. I wonder how things would be had Galante not been deported back to the US. Maybe not much different, but it's an interesting question to think about.

If memory serves, Galante had plans of moving to Montreal permanently. After he was deported, the Cotroni brothers were the top Bonanno dogs there. But the brothers were already pretty big in Montreal pre Galante. They simply allowed themselves to fall under his wing. This went smoothly. Becoming made men in a major US Family, probably had everything to do with it.

[Linked Image]