Galante was a force to reckon with and had a majority of the Bonanno crime family behind him who would fight the other families if they had killed him. Then Carmine did something stupid and that was treating some powerful members of the Bonanno crime family like shit, and cut them out of profits. They other families had their suspicions about some of his activities, but did nothing until they had the evidence they needed and Rastelli wanting him dead. It is a tricky thing with the Galante-Rastelli feud and I don't think we will ever know all the facts or the whole truth, but I will say that Joe Cerrito of San Jose liked Galante and despised Rastelli, something to do with a sitdown in New York between him, John Aquaro, Rastelli, and a few others at the sitdown, that caused Cerrito to move to San Jose from New York in 1941. Joe was with the Profaci crime family at the time. Galante was a heavy hitter, but his ego got him killed.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green