Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Neighborhoods were a lot safer from outside interference, but were victimized to some degree from the local Italian gangsters, but not like it was when the 70's rolled around. A majority of those before the 1960's had a certain code of honor, that they left certain people alone who were actually helping out their nieghborhoods or other Italians in need. But a majority of shop owners in the Italian neighborhoods pay some sort of protection to the local crime group.

Yeah, that's about it.

I have no illusions about these guys ever being Robin Hood. I grew up with with a front row seat to their bullshit, and little by little I saw every myth ever propagated about them being Robin Hood ripped apart.

But the older guys WERE different. And I don't necessarily mean the guys my father's age (he's in his 80's now). Because some of them were greedy pigs. I'm talking about the guys who would be a hundred today. These guys were old men when I was growing up, and I'm almost 55.

There was more of a duality to them. A lot of them ended up in the life by accident or by necessity. Most of the guys who I grew up with who ended up in the life lacked that duality. They became criminals not out of necessity, but by choice. Big difference.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.