Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
My family was from Naples lived on Mulberry St then moved over to Hoboken n finally settled in cliffside park, fairview & fort lee. So glad to hear you go back to keep the memories n traditions of ur family alive.

Yes, that was also a common jump. Lower Manhattan to Jersey or Staten Island. My uncle had an apartment on Baxter Street, directly opposite the back entrance of Most Precious Blood Church. Needless to say, I spent too much time in that neighborhood too lol.

He ended up owning the building, but sold it before the gentrification. He's dead now, anyway. But that would have been a nice little score for him. A studio in that neighborhood will run you at least $2,500 a month today. Yuppie City. It's insane when you think of what the rents used to be.

I know what you mean. The first thing my gr gramps did when he had money was buy property an apartment building that housed 8 families and had two stores. My grandma lived their 90 years until the family sold the building. She died 4 yrs later:(That neighborhood is no longer Italian I just went back in March.
They used to have the feast right on their street until they moved it over to Brooklyn.
Lot of wiseguys in the neighborhood back when it was 90% Italian.