Being a Philly guy, it's still amazing how they wiped out the administration down here, without anyone on the commission "questioning" their involvement. Now, I don't know for sure if the other NY families openly questioned it at the time, because I never read that. But, it seemed everyone was satisfied with Genovese handling it. I'm sure all of NY realized that with Bruno out of the picture, AC would be open to them, and Gambino was gone, so who would have defended Bruno. So this could be a moot point.

But, to be able convince a high-ranking member (Bananas) to kill his boss, then lead the inquisition into those responsible for the unsanctioned hit on a boss, AND manage to not alert any other street scammers to your work, is to put it mildy, very impressive.

And I don't recall Philip Leonetti, who had intimate knowledge of the Genovese top guys at the time through his uncle, ever mentioning Benny Squint. I know he was on his way out and it's questionable if he was even the big boss in 1980, but the buck stopped at the Chin for Nicky Scarfo with the Genovese. He was Cosa Nostra to the bone and Manna, Salerno, or the Chin never showed him their hand.

This is a really good thread with top-notch posters on here. Good stuff.

Boss of tha toilet!