Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Lilo,

That link doesn't work. I haven't been able to see what the cause of death was.

Way back in the 70s I saw him (and Edgar) and others at a Detroit Fair Grounds concert. Sorry to hear it. frown
TIS

Hmm. The link works for me TIS..
But all it said was this
Quote:
According to the American Blues Scene, sources close to the man have confirmed that Johnny Winter has passed away at the age of 70. The cause of death is unknown at this time.
John Dawson Winter III — better known as Johnny Winter — was widely regarded as one of the greatest blues guitar players in music history. Best known for his high-energy blues-rock albums and live performances in the late 1960s and ’70s, Winter also produced three Grammy Award-winning albums for blues legend Muddy Waters. Since his time with Waters, Winter has recorded several Grammy-nominated blues albums and continues to tour extensively. In 1988, he was inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame and in 2003, he was ranked 63rd in Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.”

I first heard him on the albums Muddy Waters made shortly before he passed away.
Kind of ironic that Winter's final album had another young slide virtuoso, Ben Harper, featured on it. Life is one big circle.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.