The saddest part is, is that he wrote three amazing novels. he's been riding on their success for the better part of the last 15 years. Honestly, I think martin just wrote himself into too many corners and can't figure out a legitimate way of tying it all up. As a result, we got Dance, which became the fly in the ointment and really just exasperated the existing problem about a hundred times. He introduced so many pointless red herrings and "twists" I start to wonder if he's taking ques from M. Night Shyamalan. I feel like he just sort of got sick of writing it, doesn't know where to go, has other projects he's more interested in (wild cards, various anthologies, Dunk and Egg and not to mentioning signing off on supplementary ASOIAF map books and encyclopedias written by other people) and now has even less incentive to finish ASOIAF since HBO made him a very rich man.

He's got his "method" of creating/writing; which is fair enough. But at some point you have to come to a place where you realize you are an artist making money off your art, enough to make a decent living, that yes, you do OWE your audience at least a modicum of respect, regardless of their opinion of your health and work habits. Artists Must sacrifice to maintain their relevance; but Martin gave his own relevance a half life by selling an incomplete product to a company that will finish his story long before he's capable of doing so.

In Martin's case "sacrifice" means he needs to work more. His pace is too slow, and frankly, unprofessional. He sets his own deadlines and then fails to live up to them and then lashes out at his fans for criticizing his poor work ethic. Maybe it's time to sacrifice, George. maybe it's time to buy a laptop and write on the road, not just when you "want" to write. It'd be like me telling my boss "sorry, boss, I can only work when I want to and have a substantial amount of time to immerse myself in it. That is not today, or tomorrow, or the next day, but maybe Friday".

And then, on top of it, to do that and then sit there and bitch that HBO is going to finish your story before you do? It's just baffling. you sold your IP for millions of dollars George, fucking suck it up Princess, and write your fucking books.

Last edited by slumpy; 07/17/14 10:02 AM.