Originally Posted By: Camarel
Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
Before he got black listed, Edward Norton trumped them all.

Just noticed this i think Norton also fits into the overrated bracket, to clarify i don't actually think he's a bad or average actor since Revis has redefined the word overrated tongue .*

Norton was pretty good in American History X and his best role imo: 25th Hour. The problem i have with him is Primal Fear, neither the choirboy or Roy are believable. Yet it's usually touted as an underrated performance, the twist is the reason people rethink both characters imo.

Saying someone is overrated in no way means you're saying they're average! Plenty of directors,actors,etc; i'd rate from good to great but still think they're overrated. For example i imagine if we were to have a poll of this site Quentin Tarantino would make the top 5 at least, while he'd be lucky to crack my top 20. Yet i think he's a good director.

Then quentin Tarantino would be overhyped in your book not overrated. Overhyped means you can be good or even great, but if you're being put up there as one of the greatest to ever do it when you simply don't deserve that praise at the moment then you're being overhyped. Overrated is when you're just average no different than most people in your profession but you get touted as if your an elite individual at whatever you do. Let's take Tim Tebow for example. Many people were overrating him at nausea. Not really saying that he was an elite QB but some people said he was a good or even great QB when that just simply wasn't true. Great QBs are great throwers of the football and put up at least somewhat impressive statistics which tebow did not. Nothing against tebow he's just the only example I could think of off the top of my head honestly. There's usually not that many people who are overrated. Overhyped yes, but not overrated. The word overrated gets overused today mostly because of sports imo.